problem with updating files on cifs mount (2.6.0-test9)

Ookhoi ookhoi at humilis.net
Wed Nov 12 13:41:48 GMT 2003

Hi list,

I first sent this mail to Steve French as that was the address mentioned
on http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html , but after reading
through the MAINTAINERS file in the linux kernel source, I found the
cifs list.

The mail:

To: sfrench at samba.org
I hope this is the right address (got it from:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html). I've searched with
google but can't find anyone with the same problem, nor a mailinglist.

I mount a share from a windows 2k server as follows:

# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.9/guest /var/guest -o user=shollaar,pass=xxxx

This works. Output from mount:

//192.168.0.9/guest on /var/guest type cifs (rw,user=shollaar,pass=xxxx)

(I'm not too happy with the password in the output)

Part from /proc/mounts:

//192.168.0.9/guest /var/guest cifs rw,unc=\\192.168.0.9\guest,username=shollaar,domain=,rsize=16384,wsize=16384 0 0

(cool, no password)

Now I'm on a windows workstation, and create a new file with notepad:

"
this is line one
this is line two
"

I save it on the network share on server 192.168.0.9 as 'filetest.txt'.

That works:
-rwxrwSrwt    1 root     root           34 Nov 12 13:51 filetest.txt

cat:
this is row one
this is row two

Now I add a line, so the file becomes:

"
this is line one
this is line two
this is an added line, number three
"

I save it:
-rwxrwSrwt    1 root     root           71 Nov 12 13:52 filetest.txt

cat:
this is row one
this is row two

The extra line is not there (usually I see corruption though).

If I umount and mount, or just remount, I can read the file correctly:

# mount -o remount /var/guest/

cat:
this is row one
this is row two
this is an added line, number three

I tried to play a bit with rsize and ttl (the latter is in the manual,
but not implemented yet it seems).

I tried the last two versions of mount.cifs (from the website mentioned
on top) as a helper daemon for mount before, but they give the same
corruption.

I pulled the latest 2.5 tree from cifs.bkbits.net which has some cifs
updates compared to 2.6.0-test9, but with the same result.

The Linux server is a simple celeron system.

Can I provide more info?

Thanks a lot in advance.

ps, first tried samba, but then the webserver on the linux server tried
to serve a page with several images, the images didn't appear. Mounting
as cifs fixes this, but now gives new problems :-)

Didn't try 2.4. Distro is up to date Debian Sid (unstable), if that
matters.