CVS update: samba/source/lib

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun Jul 27 17:32:22 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 05:48, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> NetBIOS names are a string of octets and they're not supposed to contain nul
> octets (0x00).
>
> That said, all sorts of things have been seen in the wild.
>
> I imagine that there are plenty of bits of software that will try to mung a
> multibyte string into a NetBIOS name.  The problem, of course, is that there
> is absolutely no way to know which encoding, codepage, or otherwise an
> application on a remote node is using.
>
> Ick.
>
> I agree with Abartlet that we should be viewing these as strings of octets.
> I would also say that we may need to watch for bogus octets, such as nul
> bytes and lower-case characters, that may be included in the NetBIOS name.

I've just seen widly used software based on DOS that uses netbeui +
netbios (but no smb on it), that uses the NUL as in C strings.
SO you may see netbios names that contain trailing chars after a single
NUL byte ... :-(

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399