Machine account getting trashed (Was: Authentication through tran sitive trusts)

Marc Kaplan MKaplan at snapappliance.com
Wed Jul 23 22:49:49 GMT 2003

This may be rehashing already extant data re: this post, but I want to send
some traces that I've done recently.

Samba domain member trace:
Let me introduce the cast of characters

172.16.203.102: Win2k client, no service pack installed
172.16.203.107: Samba domain member server (running alpha19)
172.16.203.201: Win2k DC (KDC in this case)

In the first trace (hostentry-not-corrupted.ethereal.cap), I joined the
domain, and then from the win2k client I did a find computer, and searched
for the Samba server by hostname, and connected by hostname. My brief look
at it shows that at first we offer Kerberos and ntlmssp, and the client
chooses ntlmssp.  Seems that later the client does another negotiate
protocol request, and then we use Kerberos.

In the second trace (hostentry-corrupted.ethereal.cap), I joined the domain,
and then from the win2k client I did a find computer, and searched for the
Samba server by IP, and connected by IP.  Seems that in the TGS-REQ the
win2k client asks the KDC for the principal 172.16.203.107 at win2kdom.snap2,
which is wrong (correct is mkaplan-manta1 at win2kdom.snap2), and KRB-ERR is
returned to the client, who then tries NTLMSSP.

Win2k domain member trace:
The next set of traces have the following characters:
172.16.203.102: Win2k client, no service pack installed
172.16.203.220: Win2k domain member server
172.16.203.201: Win2k DC (KDC in this case)

In the first trace (hostentry-not-corrupted-win2kbyhostname.ethereal.cap), I
joined the domain with the win2k domain member server, did a find computer
and searched and connected by hostname.

In the second trace (hostentry-not-corrupted-win2kbyip.ethereal.cap), I
joined the domain with the win2k domain member server, did a find computer
and search and connected by IP.

The question is why does the host account not get trashed in
hostentry-not-corrupted-win2kbyip.ethereal.cap when the same set of
behaviors for samba in hostentry-corrupted.ethereal.cap corrupted it?

Let me know if I can provide some more information.

				-Marc