KDC has no support for encryption type?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jul 15 21:27:34 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 03:46:23PM -0400, Ken Cross wrote:

> # kinit administrator at win1dom.local
> Password for administrator at win1dom.local:
> kinit(v5): KDC has no support for encryption type while getting initial
> credentials

> The Ethereal capture shows the request with encryption types des3-cbc-sha1,
> des-cbc-md5, and des-cbc-crc.  The response returns error code
> KRB5KDC_ERR_ETYPE_NOSUPP.

> <sigh>

Yep, that's a Kerberos problem, not a Samba problem.

> Well, if nobody else is seeing this, I'll assume it's just my problem and
> I'll hack away at it.

There are only two fixes for this: upgrade to a Unix Kerberos
implementation that supports RC4 (such as MIT 1.3), or create a DES key
for the admin user in AD by changing the password.  If you know the
account should already have a DES key, I can only speculate that there
may be some new AD security level that actively disables generation of
DES keys.

Good luck,
--
Steve Langasek