smbpasswd password on the command line

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 11 16:24:51 GMT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> At least on Linux, env vars are not world readable and can be used just as
> easily as command line.

It might depend on the distribution, but "ps e" does exactly what I'd
expect it to on the Linux systems that I have here ...

As an end-user sysadmin I'd like to chip in with a vote for retaining
the command line functionality. I have password change scripts that use
it at the moment (in full knowledge of what I'm doing, on a locked-down
server to which only a select band of trusted individuals get access to
the command line, I hasten to add ...).

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology