3.0Alpha21 and W2K AD 'dorking' Samba machine acct?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 14 20:08:06 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 01:30, Nik Conwell wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 23:32, Nik Conwell wrote:
> > >
> > > Anybody seeing a scenario like this?
> > >
> > > net ads join adds our machine entry to AD just fine.
> > >
> > >   The machine entry object in the AD database has:
> > >
> > >    OperatingSystem        "Samba"
> > >    OperatingSystemVersion "post3.0-HEAD"
> > >    dnsHostname            "ourhost"
> > >
> > > Some time later "something" happened, and AD now has:
> > >
> > >    OperatingSystem        "Windows"
> > >    OperatingSystemVersion "NT 4"
> > >    dnsHostname            is empty.
> > >
> > > and then authentication to ourhost fails.
> >
> > Something is doing a NT4 password change.  This can occur if
> > 'security=domain' is set, rather than 'security=ads'.
> >
> > Or if 'net rpc changetrustpw' is run.
>
> Interesting - security=ads is set in the config, and neither of the two of us
> who have privs to do the net cmds have run changetrustpw (or knew what it was
> before you wrote about it ;-))
>
> I have an unverified pet theory that under some circumstances the smbd may think
> it's running as security=domain (unable to read the config file due to it being
> unmounted - it's on NFS disk - or since the file doesn't have o=r).  I'll put
> some DEBUG logging statements near change_trust_account_password() to see if
> we're somehow getting there.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> -nik

I since looked into this myself - and it's werid!

If you make even a single connection to the NETLOGON pipe, to verify an
NTLM password with the PDC, your OS gets reset!

This occurs during the credentials setup for that pipe - the interesting
thing will be to see what Win2k does for that pipe, and to see if we can
emulate it.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net