Annoying Minor Bug In Winbind 2.2.x

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Feb 7 13:31:58 GMT 2003

On 7 Feb 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> On  6 Feb 2003, "Boyce, Nick" <nick.boyce at eds.com> wrote:
>>
>> .... I find what seems to be an
>> obvious, simple and annoying buggette - if I stop and restart winbind
(the
>> sort of thing you do a lot at this stage) then it fails to restart, with
>> this message in "/var/log/samba/log.winbindd" :
>>     "invalid permissions on socket directory /tmp/.winbindd"
>>
>> Here's the permissions :
>>     /etc# ls -ld /tmp/.w*
>>     drwxr-x---    2 root     root         4096 Feb  6 21:33
/tmp/.winbindd

> The error is emitted from create_pipe_sock, which checks that the
> permissions on the directory are exactly what winbind expects them to
> be (0755).  Obviously those permissions are not correct, which would
> seem to be a problem because it might prevent non-root processes from
> accessing winbindd.  This looks very much like a umask problem.

Thanks - that was it.  I now have a script /usr/local/bin/winbind, which
does
   umask 000
   /etc/init.d/winbind $1
   umask 027
and everything is working ok now - I can stop & restart winbind to my
heart's content without any problem (well no socket directory permissions
problems anyway ;-)

[ I'm afraid I always run with umask=027 ... it's a hangover from my
mainframe days ... I can't get away from the idea that you should grant only
the access that is needed ... "all files world-readable by default ?" ...
"Just Say No" ]

Thanks a lot.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK