No subject

Tue Dec 2 03:01:20 GMT 2003

cleartext (aaargh!, I know) authentication.  So no smbpasswd at present.

We don't yet have real usernames on NT.  Instead they get an automatic
common guest login, and the authentication question they see is actually
asking for their UNIX id/pw for Samba-mounting their UNIX directory.

The desirable evolution will still keep UNIX at the heart of things, with
a single logical username and single logical password.  Possible changes:
o  doing authentication by LDAP (or NIS+ ?)
o  using better crypt technique from UNIX
o  allowing Lanman/NT encryption
o  real NT/PDC authentication, possibly via Samba rather than real NT
o  W2K active directory considerations

]

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee             South Road            :