netadmin tool ?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 16:16:56 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> It seems that the original intent of the net command has been
> muddied.  We now have some root only admin commands included
> in net (similar to the process_root() mode of smbpasswd.
> Do people consider this a good thing, or should the two be broken
> out into separate commands.  e.g. bin/net and sbin/netadmin (modeled
> after mysql and mysqladmin).

The new 'net' command has created another problem also. Several NetBIOS
implmentations on Unix already implement a net command. In effect we have
created a command line tool set name space conflict. Thous could have been
avoided by calling the tool 'smbnet'.

SCO Unix uses "net" to control Advanced Services for Unix (ASU). Other
OS's use "net config" to set up tcp/ip networking. Tru64 is one of those.

I would encourage the separation of tools into user and admin categories.
Thus the creation of a netadmin or smbnetadmin too would make sense. But
if we do make this change, then perhaps we should also resolve a potential
name space problem.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra