[samba3-alpha23] Brand new local profiles

Kristis Makris kristis.makris at datasoft.com
Thu Apr 24 19:37:06 GMT 2003

Hi Richard,

I believe I've found the cause of the problem.

> 2. The target directory does not exist

The target directory \\filesrv\makris_k\profile.pds definitely does not
exist, and this is the point where I was confused. Why does win2k look
there in the first place in order to create a local profile ?

I had the impression that a local profile is created if there is no
roaming profile path set (either through a value set in the
"profilePath" attribute in LDAP for a user, or by providing a value for
the "logon path" line in the [global] section).

Apparently, the default smb.conf contains a commented out "logon path"
line, and a commented out "[profiles]" section. Roaming profiles are not
disabled that way, but local profiles cannot be used at all for a new
user (at least under the configuration I'm testing; Win2k). One needs
to  effectively disable roaming profiles by setting a blank "logon path"
value as described in this thread:

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-docs/2001-November/000702.html

So, out of the box local profiles do not work. I would recommend that
the default smb.conf (in ~/examples/smb.conf.default) is set to contain
a blank value for "logon path". I don't know how that affects Win9x, NT,
XP, though, or how that works in workgroup mode, etc.

In either case, perhaps the results to the response in the above url
(how to disable roaming profiles) should also be added in the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection, the document John Terpstra mentioned:

 	http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Thanks,
Kristis