Clarification on Group Policies

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Apr 19 02:06:37 GMT 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Willi Mann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've read the current Howto-Collection from CVS Chapter 17. It explains
> the different forms of Group Policies of Windows and how to edit them.
> But the most the IMHO most important question is not clarified:
> Is it possible with a Samba 2.2/3.0 PDC to set up (User/Machine) Group
> Policies for Windows 2000/XP Clients and how exactly do I do that?

With Samba and in the absence of Active Directory it is NOT possible to
create Group Policy Objects for users and machines.

It IS possible to continue the use of the NTConfig.POL method of
implementing Policies. You can obtain the NEXUS toolkit or user the
SRVTOOLS kit (both available from MS FTP/Web sites) to create your
NTConfig.POL file. Soon, if all goes well, Samba-3 will have a new tool
that will allow you to create NTconfig.POL files also.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org