Samba performance issues: stat calls

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Sun Apr 6 01:29:25 GMT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > Well, stat just hit number 1 problem for me :-)
> >
> > I have got to look at converting it to an IOCTL in our case, because our
> > file system keeps times a 64-bit quantities, but POSIX is so aweful that
> > we have to convert them to 32-bits in our POSIX subsystem and then back to
> > 64-bits in Samba.
>
> FYI Linux 2.5 has nanosecond resolution stat, assuming the underlying
> filesystem supports it.

The OS I am currently working on is FreeBSD. In addition, our file system
has lots of additional attributes, like Hidden, System, RO, and Archive
bits, NT-like ACLs, NT-like time stamps, and so forth, so a more generic
approach to retrieving attributes would be more useful. However, I am also
warming to some of the things that Reiser4 has in it as well.

Regards
-----