help

Chirag Andani andanic at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 14:25:38 GMT 2001

hi all,
i m tryin to configure and get samba working on red hat linux 7.0. I am
really having a lot of problems and would b really happy if someone could
help me fix it...

My smb.conf file looks like this:

[global]
            workgroup = CELL
            netbios name = LINWEB
            server string = Samba Server
            log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
            max log size = 0
            dns proxy = No
            guest account = ftp
            hosts allow = 192.100.100. 192.100.200. EXCEPT 192.100.100.251
            printing = lprng

    [homes]
            comment = Home Directories
            writeable = Yes
            browseable = No

    [printers]
            comment = All Printers
            path = /var/spool/samba
            printable = Yes
            browseable = No

    [myshare]
            comment = My Share
            path = /downloads
            writeable = Yes
            guest ok = Yes
            hosts allow = 192.100.100. 192.100.200. 127.

my hosts.allow file looks like this:
#
swat: 127.0.0.1 192.100.100.
ALL: 192.100.l00.

and hosts.deny file is:
#
ALL:ALL

I am not able to browse from windows explorer. I have given guest account as
ftp, I also tried creating a user and on windows explorer tryin to connect
as that user. when i try to browse on Win Explorer, it prompts me for a
username/password, I tried with ftp user and also other dummy user that i
created but in windows i get an error saying "The account is not authorized
to login from this station"
I have run the following command:
# smbpasswd -j CELL -r PDC
and even on windows added the linweb as a NT server.

Please help me with this, am I missing out on something

Waiting
Chirag