SAMBA PANICS SCO UNIX 5.05 SERVER.

Joe Doran joed at interlude.eu.org
Sat May 26 00:16:55 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have rolled out samba 2.2.0 to approx. 50 Sco Unix and they are
showing same symptoms. Each server serves approx. 5 to 10 clients. On
startup memory usage for Streams is around 500 kb. After 2 or 3 days
this rises to approx. 2mb. As our servers are configured as per a normal
install we have about 2mb in total. After this happens we are getting
PANICs on NSTRPAGES complaining more Stream buffers can not be
dynamically allocated. Shutting down Samba does not release these
streams. These Panics are new and have only started happening after
Samba has been installed. Previously VisionFS 3.01 was installed and
working.  In addition to this we are experiencing problems with NT
printing. Printers when accessed from a NT4 or 2000 client, from a SAMBA
server running in server mode, hang in initialization mode. These
servers are also authenticating against a PDC/BDC over a WAN Link.  Both
these problems are not visible when utilizing 2.0.7. Is it possible that
the MS-RPC connections to the printer queues are crashing out and the
clients are retrying to connect over and over, causing Streams to be
allocated but not released? If so what should I be looking for in debug
mode?
I have seen messages such as :- write_socket_data: write failure. Error
= Broken pipe.

One other thing noted the servers are not falling back from SERVER mode
to local authentication using SMBPASSWD file. I noted this when one of
our sites lost its link with our HQ. According to documentation in
SERVER mode authentication should fall back to SMBPASSWD. Is this
correct?.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Joe.