Help Please

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Mon May 21 18:56:50 GMT 2001

> RS> I did some work on an embedded SMB server a while ago,
> and used the
> RS> PTHREADS, but any threadding package would do the job.
>
> That's because most of the memory leak is being held when you lack
> memory. The code still have numbers of memory leak when you loose
> one. And each loosing size is not so large.

Luckly we have wrapped the posix code into an custom wrapper,
thus using AmigaOS own highly effecient memory management.

Our "kernel" is built for low memory systems,
and the memory mangement is highly tested and stable.

Then again this might just be junk compared to modern *nix kernel,
with hardware ecc support etc..

We have no memory protection, thus highly effective 'debugging'.
Mess with the memory and you get an total non recoverable crash.

> So, as long as you have environments that is unix, which means you
> have large memory spaces, you'll not find memory leak easily.
> You might need to run them for 1 month, to letting them start
> avalanch.

Indeed, I'll lack good tools to realy stress
test things in production enviroment.

> RS> However, I agree. Memory leaks were hard. I ended up with
> a DEBUG package
> RS> unlike the Samba stuff, where I could switch on different
> levels of debug
> RS> for different areas of the code. I have seen an even
> better DEBUG package
> RS> elsewhere ... But that helped track down memory leaks ...
>
> But even with those tools, you'll only find half of memory leaks.
> Memory leaks occur on exceptional cases, and it's called exceptional
> because things are rare to happen.

Then you must also make sure this is not
an result of an external source.

Interesting dicussion, I guess I'm out of my knownlage now.
So I step back.

Cheers
Ulf Bertilsson