2GB Problem

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Sun May 20 00:06:06 GMT 2001

On May 19, 2001, Justin D Davis <justindd at iastate.edu> wrote:

> Under the 2.2.x kernel, there was no support for a single file to be
> larger than 2GB, however I know this version supports it, I made a
> file that was roughly 9GB to test it earlier today.

It's not a kernel-only issue.  The C library is also involved.  In the
particular case of GNU/Linux, -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is the magic
switch you have to use to compile an application so that 64-bit file
offsets and the use of functions that support them are chosen.  In
general, getconf LFS_CFLAGS and LFS_LIBS will tell you about any
compile-time flags and libraries that have to be linked in to get
large file support.