2.2 CVS rpcclient doesn't work?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 18 14:23:26 GMT 2001

Hi, All!

I'm just playing with rpcclient on an IRIX system to do some more
testing of the "cups export" stuff for SAMBA (to "export" drivers from
CUPS to Windows clients).

All was working well, and then I decided to update my local copy to
the latest CVS to make sure all was working in the future 2.2.1 code.
After building and installing, the rpcclient program no longer works.

When I do:

    rpcclient -S localhost -U root

I get:

    INFO: Debug class all level = 10   (pid 182531 from pid 182531)
    doing parameter browseable = yes
    doing parameter server string = Samba 2.2.0 Test Server
    doing parameter hosts allow = 199.10.112. 127.
    doing parameter load printers = yes
    doing parameter printing = cups
    doing parameter create mask = 0664
    doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    doing parameter max log size = 200
    doing parameter security = user
    doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
    doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    doing parameter domain master = yes
    doing parameter preferred master = yes
    doing parameter dns proxy = no
    pm_process() returned Yes
    lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
    Enter Password: <I enter a password>

and then the prompt back - no way to enter rpcclient commands.
The exit status is 0, and there are no entries (none, zilch, zip)
in the log.smbd or log.bravo (the name of the system) files, despite
the fact that I'm running at log level 10.  Doing:

    smbclient -L localhost

works as expected and yields tons of messages.

I haven't had a chance to check this on a Linux machine (little-endian
vs. big-endian), or to instrument the rpcclient code to see where it
is going, but maybe this rings a bell with someone?!?

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com