Building and linking shared libaries for multiple differentversionsof UNIX

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed May 16 18:28:48 GMT 2001

Steve Langasek wrote:
> I don't believe that libsmbclient would be considered a module here; it's a
> shared library which exports an ABI that will be used by third-party
> applications.

	I'd version it, using a two-part number like
	libsmbclient.so -> libsmbclient.so.1.1, and
	increment the last digit when you add (but
	do not remove/change) interfaces.

	Only libraries which CAN only used by one program
	can be safely be left unversioned.

--dave (we've been burned by this before) collier-brown
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com