Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue May 15 11:17:08 GMT 2001

I am getting some reports from my users about some strange behaviour
with our file-share system.

The affected users complain that files appear in their 'home
directories' at random.

The way our system operates, users log into the local machine with a
valid NT username and password, then procede to map a network drive
containing their home directory (with a different username/password).
This is done with an 'logon applet', a small VB program making the
relevent calls under NT.  It works the same way as mapping/unmapping a
network drive with explorer.

What I am wondering is if samba does any caching of directory handles or
the like, and whether samba could be mis-translating //servername/homes
to the wrong user, using the directory from a previous user.  Is this at
all possible?

(I'm presuming in this case that the user has logged off, and that while
NT had maintained the TCP/IP connection to the server another user had
logged on).

Those who reported this problem claimed that wtmp entires showed that
the user was not logged on at the time the files were created.

The system is compiled --with-vfs, as we use RPM packaging.  The
versions of samba that have run are a pre 2.2.0 (by a month or two) CVS
snapshot, and snapshots in the last week.  One user reports that this
occured with the lasted installed version.

If this rings any bells I would be very appriciative.  In any case, I'll
continue to hunt down the problem and see if I can get some better
information.  For the time being we are just blaming users for
forgetting to log off, but I think there might be somthing in it.

Thanks,

abartlet at pcug.org.au