TDB on OpenBSD problem.

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri May 4 00:45:49 GMT 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 12:42:13AM +0000, Virginia Norling wrote:
> I've just joined this list because I had a problem when I upgraded to
> samba 2.2.0 on a HP-UX 10.20 machine.  I searched the lists to see
> whether the problem had been noticed before and if there was a fix.
>
> I used configure with only the --prefix option and the HP Ansi C compiler.
> There were no problems in the configuration, compilation or installation.
>
> However, within a few minutes of starting the new samba, the connections.tdb
> file grew so much that the file system ran out of space.
>
> Jeremy Alison wrote:
> > The code that causes a tdb to grow is in tdb_expand() in tdb/tdb.c.
> > Can you instrument this code with DEBUG level zeros to try and track
> > down what is causing the gig expansion. That level of expansion would
> > point to a bug in the interaction between tdb and mmap or fcntl.
> >
> > This problem hasn't been seen on other platforms as far as I know,
> > if you have a completely reproducible case for this I'm very interested
> > in helping you track it down.
>
> This system is a 9000/813/D330 running HP-UX 10.20
> I am running the upgraded version of samba with no problems on a 9000/831/D350
> running HP-UX 11.0.

Ok thanks. So can you instrument the tdb/tdb.c:tdb_expand()
code with enough debug level zero info that we can figure
out what's going wrong here ?

Currently we can't reproduce the problem on systems we have
access to, so we need to rely on people reporting the problem
to give enough debug info to allow us to fix it.

Thanks,

		Jeremy Allison,
		Samba Team.