error in Man pages

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Jul 21 00:21:31 GMT 2001

David Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, William Jojo wrote:
>
> > That's cool, but you might want to check the code for 2.2.1a as it didn't
> > work as a share option and "testparm" reported it as
> >
> > Global parameter utmp found in service section!
> >
> > It finally did work wonderfully when I put in the global section.
> >
> > If I can help, let me know....
>
> OK.  Thanks.  (It is clearer now:  you are talking about 2.2.1a, and about
> an inconsistency between man page and implementation.)
>
> It would seem, then, that the code restructure would appear to have moved
> "utmp" from per-share to be a global.  Hmmmm...
>
> A quick glance through the source seems to confirm this transition
> (although I haven't had a chance to check in detail, and I'm just about to
> disappear for a week in a few minutes' time...).
>
> I presume that the folk who did this had a reason.  I wonder what it was?

The utmp code was reworked a fair bit, as it now tracks sessions (the
real events on the SMB protocol that match to a logon-logoff) rather
than tree connects (these can happen at any time, and don't say anything
about the user logging on/off).

Becouse its now on a session setup level, it has to be a global.

abartlet at pcug.org.au
abartlet at samba.org