Accessing CVS-WEB?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jul 11 17:51:54 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> :
> > Its the gzip encoding.  The files are gzip encoded to save bandwidth
> > (becouse they are both large and compress well), and your older browser
> > doesn't understand it.  Upgrade your browser.
>
> Um...
>
> Can you show me where in the W3C specs it says that gzip encoding is part
> of the standard?  It may be there, as the W3C validator can read the page
> (though it does cough up an error message...missing ALT tag).

Wrong standard - the gzip stuff is part of the HTTP standard.
Specifically,
the client supplies an "Accept-Encoding" field with "gzip" (along with
any other encodings it can handle), and the server responds using
whatever
encoding is appropriate, specified in the "Content-Encoding" field.

That said, the CVS-web interface should be checking this field before
assuming that the browser supports gzip...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com