Samba 2.2.1 released.

James Nord teilo at cdt.luth.se
Tue Jul 10 16:00:28 GMT 2001

Mike Black wrote:

>As pleased as I am about seeing 2.2.1 released there's still an outstanding
>bug which is preventing me from using it:
>http://bugs.samba.org/?findid=21369 (reported over a month ago)
>When copying a file from NT4.0 to samba server the file date/time is set to
>the current time instead of the original file time.  Not sure if this is
>true for any other OS.
>I would think this could break things for some people (like me).
>I already identified what's causing the problem in the bug report and
>thought that it wouldn't be too hard to fix but figured the samba team could
>come up with a better fix than me.

Surely this is the wrong way around.

When you copy a file you _create a new file_.

When you move a file you just move its inode and all its
access/modified/create time gets moved with it.
Of course over a different fs or even network you do some pokery to set
the times to the times that they show on the original file.

Testing Samba 2.2.0 shows it is however doing what _you_ think it should
- which is IMHO wrong - at least it is not how a normal copy is
performed or how win2000 behaves taliking to another win2000 machine.

For instance,

Oringinal file (local Win200),
Created:    12 June 2001 19:07:41
Modified:   12 June 2001  19:07:42
Accessed:    10 July 2001

Copied to local drive
Created:    10 July 2001 17:32:34
Modified:   12 June 2001  19:07:42
Accessed:    10 July 200

Copied to Win2000 Share
Created:    10 July 2001 17:32:51
Modified:   12 June 2001  19:07:42
Accessed:    10 July 200

Copied to Samba 2.2.0 (Solaris 2.7) Share
Created:    12 June 2001   19:07:42
Modified:   12 June 2001  19:07:42
Accessed:    10 July 200

Moved to a Samba 2.2.0 (Solaris 2.7) Share
Created:    12 June 2001   19:07:42
Modified:   12 June 2001  19:07:42
Accessed:    10 July 200

So the move is correct but the copy is incorrect but the inverse of what
Mike Black was reporting.

Of course this was on a 2000 machine and solaris not NT4 and linux, but
why would that cause it to do it the correct way ;-)

/James

--
Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.
	Douglas Adams