SSL negotiation protosol in CIFS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 22 20:02:32 GMT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Michal Trojnara wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > Is SSL negotiation a documented protocol extension or just a proprietary
> > > feature?  I'd like to add CIFS support to my stunnel program, but I
> don't
> > > want to create a derivative from Samba.

> I'll try to make it clear:
> 1. I wasn't able to find an open specification for SSL negotiation in CIFS.
> 2. I'd like to add CIFS negotiation to my software
> (http://stunnel.mirt.net/).

Leaving to one side your misunderstanding of the GPL, there is no SSL
negotiation that I know of, and none that is implmented in Samba.

Samba does however allow you to connect with an SSL client or to make a
connection out using SSL.  There is no negotiation involved, it simply
starts sending SSL down the pipe and hopes the other end might catch on
what the heck is going on.  Likewise, smbd will (when compiled
--with-ssl) recogninse the incoming SSL header and start
encrypting.  (This is partly controlled by various smb.conf options).

Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at samba.org