Looking for contributors to build mini-Linux Network

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Mon Aug 20 12:42:00 GMT 2001

Please do not post or or mass E-mail HTML formatted mail.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Choon Kiat Lim wrote:

>  Dear Linux Friends,
>   I'm quite a new person in Linux (about 1.5 years)
> and has just join the Samba group. However I have

I assume that because you included SAMBA TECHNICAL in your list that you
intend to start building and debugging SAMBA, and testing pre-release
code.  Otherwise you will probabably get better responses on a newsgroup
or mailing list more on the subject of general networking and or LINUX.

> I'm using 2 switches (I was told by the
> Vendor when I first learn Linux
> networking that switches are
> better than hubs. Did I get con?)

Switches are better than hubs, but what your vendor did not tell you is
that you may not have a big enough network, or enough activity to notice
the difference.  But with the prices of switches coming down fast, they
may be all that is available soon.

You may get some useful networking information from the samba.org mailing
lists, but your network is approaching the size that you will need to
do some research on your own.  I would suggest some basic to advanced
networking books.  This is based on your need to understand the difference
between a switching hub and a traditional hub.

After you get some more of the basics down, you will probably be able to
find a better newsgroup or mailing list to get up to speed.

Until you do, you will not know if the quality of the *free* advice you
get on the internet is actually applicable to what you want to do.

IMHO: Your home network is not compete until you add at least one OpenVMS
host to it.  See http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist for information on a
free license and low cost media.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network