Slow and failing ACL modification using Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris

Matt Zinkevicius mattzink at qwest.net
Tue Apr 24 10:02:37 GMT 2001

From: "Johannes Tyve" <Johannes.Tyve at sgu.se>
> I'm trying to modify my ACLs using Security/Permissions on my NT 4.0
> Workstation.
>
> After pressing the Permission button it takes 15-30 seconds until the
> Permission dialog box appers. This behavior was also reported by Max
> Ahston on the Samba mailinglist.

We have just started noticing this in one of our test labs. We think it
might be because this lab has a lot of domain controllers compared to our
other labs. Very much a guess though.

> Trying to add a user or directory I have to wait another 15-30 sec.
> before I get the following message:
>
> "You may not be able to browse all of the domains to which you have
> access because the following error occurred: The list of servers for
> this workgroup is not currently available"

We also get see this in that lab.

> No users/groups are then listed in the "Add Users and Groups" dialog but
> I'm able to search for users and groups.

I have reported this problem to this list before. You cannot browse or
explicity enter any non-local users. This pretty much makes winbindd useless
for appliances (which was one of the uses it was intended for), as they have
no local users. I hope somebody from the samba can comment on this!

--Matt Zinkevicius (Hewlett-Packard)