Compiling with Sun compilers from SC5.0 onward.

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue Apr 10 22:47:37 GMT 2001

David Collier-Brown wrote:

> >   There's one outstanding oops in wrapped.c from before: utimes.
>
>         Also we now run out of space in the pic table when linking:
> Compiling smbwrapper/wrapped.c with -Kpic
> Linking shared library bin/smbwrapper.so
> ld: fatal: too many symbols require `small' PIC references:
>         have 2440, maximum 2048 -- recompile some modules -K PIC.
>
>         I changed the Makefile: can one of the team change
>         the Configure script to use -K PIC instead of -K pic?

Currently the configure.in says :

# try to work out how to produce pic code with this compiler
AC_PROG_CC_FLAG(fpic)
if test $ac_cv_prog_cc_fpic = yes; then
    PICFLAG="-fpic";
fi
if test x$PICFLAG = x; then
  AC_PROG_CC_FLAG(Kpic)
  if test $ac_cv_prog_cc_Kpic = yes; then
    PICFLAG="-Kpic";
  fi
fi
if test x$PICFLAG = x; then
  AC_PROG_CC_FLAG(KPIC)
  if test $ac_cv_prog_cc_KPIC = yes; then
    PICFLAG="-KPIC";
  fi
fi

Would it work to change the order of the pic tests to
-KPIC then -Kpic ? What effect would this have on other
platforms ?

Jeremy.