Changing passwords from Windows 95 950 B

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Mar 15 04:42:10 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am having lots of problems changing passwords from a Win95 system. The
system is running 4.0.950 B.

The log files show that the sesssetupX failed, and I suspect that Win95 has
uppercased the oldpassword I supplied before doing the LMhash and then
generating the response to the challenge that Samba sent, tsk tsk.

Since this will take me some time to confirm, I wonder if anyone has seen
this.

In anycase, the Win95 system continues on, issues the SamOEMChangePassword
LanMan API call, but because of the above problem, and the fact that the
SessSetupX above was against the IPC$ share, and Samba maps the request to
the guest account, when Samba tries to run the passwd command as root
(because I have unix passwd sync set tto true), it fails ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course