Important Questions, Advice Needed!!!

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 26 08:10:46 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, werner maes wrote:

> These questions still rise:
>
> * A student can only have access to one computer. He should not be able
> to login on a second computer with the same account. Up till now I wasn't
> able to realise this, it's still possible for someone to login on several
> pc's with the same account. There is no option in Samba like 'number of
> logins = '. Does anyone know of another way to realise this?

You might be able to set up a login script with a lock file, such that if
the lock file exists the user is immediately logged back out.  Of course, I
haven't fooled with much more than the basics of samba, but I seem to recall
that sort of thing should be possible.  Of course, some way of deleting lock
files left when a system is shut down unexpectedly would need to be
implemented (perhaps a cron script that checks if there's a user logged in
for each lockfile in existance?).

Why are students only allowed to access one computer at a time?

> * Our pc-rooms are being maintained by operators. Sometimes they need to
> change the samba-configuration (for special sessions). The problem is that
> when they would like to use SWAT, they need the root account of the
> server. And that's something that I don't want to give away. Does anyone
> know whether it's possible to use SWAT with a user account instead of the
> root account? I've tried several things (changing toe owner and group
> permissions), but when I want to stop/start the daemons I get "must have
> uid 0".

Can't say anything about this.

I'm including the mailing list in the reply so wrong answers can be shot
down.

 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student
 weigel+ at pitt.edu