[aaron-fbsd@mutex.org: poor samba write performance from win98]

Aaron Smith aaron-fbsd at mutex.org
Tue Apr 11 21:02:34 GMT 2000

i was told by several people that i should send this to this list as well.
i'm grateful for any ideas or areas to investigate on this issue.

aaron

----- Forwarded message from Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd at mutex.org> -----

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:44:59 -0700
From: Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd at mutex.org>
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Cc: aaron-fbsd at mutex.org
Subject: poor samba write performance from win98

hello,

i've seen this problem come up many times in the archives, and i've tried
lots of different options without success. i am using a win98 box to write
to a freebsd 4.0 samba 2.0.6 share.

i have tried all kinds of socket options, bigger send/recv windows, strict
sync is off. this is a 100baseTX full-duplex (switched) four-node LAN.

     ftp write:	  about 4-5 megabytes/sec
     samba read:  around 4 megabytes/sec
     samba write
        from explorer shell: about 500k/sec
	save from netscape of local file to share: about 1.2 megabytes/sec

none of these have been rigorous measurements, but it's clear to me that
something's wrong. copying a 30meg file should not take a minute and a
half on switched fast ether.

i have tried with/without the NODELAY and LOWDELAY stuff, set my buffers up
to values ranging from 8192 to 131072 (262144 fails with a no buffer space
available message) and generally tweaked until i turned blue. i've done
tcpdumps and i'm getting mostly full packets (1460 data bytes) and i didn't
notice anything wrong in the traces.

the poor explorer shell performance would point to strict sync, but it's
off. if anybody has any ideas, please let me know. my current (culled)
smb.conf follows.

aaron

--

[global]