Samba on Linux with no ACL's is making things tough

Michael Marschall mmarschall at voicerite.com
Tue Apr 4 17:06:13 GMT 2000

Jeremy Allison wrote:

"The Linux trustee patch seems ok for the particular
problem, but doesn't allow Windows clients access to modify
ACLS for files that they own. "

To me this is perfectly ok. I would rather no let Windows users control
their own ACL's. But I can see how this will be a benefit for Samba on
NT Workstation and Windows 2000 Professional.

> Sander Striker wrote:
> >
> > I forwarded this to samba-technical and samba-ntdom because this
> > issue is something someone is working on. I only can't remember
> > who... Luke?
> > This looks very promising.
>
> This is something I'm working on at the moment in 2.0.x
> and HEAD. The Linux trustee patch seems ok for the particular
> problem, but doesn't allow Windows clients access to modify
> ACLS for files that they own. To do that you need POSIX
> ACL support - that's the API we'll be adding into Samba
> 2.0.8 and HEAD (and TNG with the merge going on).
>
> Jeremy.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

Michael Marschall
Infrastructure Manager
VoiceRite, Inc.
7725 NW 48th St.