take on future events

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Tue Feb 2 08:30:47 GMT 1999

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, David S. Chappell wrote:

> >   * True Windows NT printing support (spoolss pipe).
>
> I am very interested in this.  Doesn't this include EMF spooling?  Is any
> of this printing stuff documented?  If not, does anyone know of
> documentation that would provide hints about how this works?

No it won't include EMF spooling. The SPOOLSS code will force the setup of
the printer in RAW mode (when you'll install the printer driver on the
workstation). For people who want to look deeper in the subject, there is
a MS paper (white paper or an KB article, don't remember) which is on the
MSDN Library and a tool called EMFDCODE.EXE

To sum up how it's working:

You print from an NT Workstation(a) to another NT machine(b) (Server or
Workstation) (soon available in Samba) to a printer (c)

In RAW mode: machine (a) does all the work, send it to machine (b) which
in turns send it to (c)

In EMF mode: machine (a) generate an EMF (Enhanced MetaFile) file which it
sends to machine (b). Machine (b) processes this EMF file and generate a
printable file which it send to the printer.

All NT printer drivers support both modes with the exception of the
Postscript driver which only generate RAW files.

Now Samba *won't* support the EMF mode simply because it would mean to run
the printer driver on the Samba machine and that's impossible :-)

	Jean Francois
	(who have to write a report for February 15,
	if he wants to get his engineer's diploma)