Printer drivers upload from Windows2000 (samba 2.2.1a)

Simon Pither simon_p at allsecurenet.com
Mon Oct 1 06:56:04 GMT 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Pierre Burri wrote:
> I'm trying to upload a printer driver (HP Laserjet 2100M) from a windows2000
> professional with the "Add Printer Wizard" to my Samba Server 2.2.1a. I have
> create the necessary share [print$] as well as the subdirectories W32X86 and
> WIN40.
> Actualy it almost works, the driver files get copied to the subdirectory,
> W32X86, but the Wizard stops with the message:
> Printer could not be installed, Access denied.
> Access denied to wich directory or file? Of course Windows
> doesn't tell this kind of details....

I'm afraid I can't help answer this, however I found that it didn't
matter...

> Can anyone help me to get further?

...Assuming that you already have the samba printer share created.

If you ignore the error message and Cancel out of the wizard.

Then select the properties of the printer that is already shared by samba,
on the advanced tab you should be able to select your newly uploaded
driver from the 'Driver:' list.  This will associate the driver with this
printer.

Once you've made the association, you can also add additional OS
drivers via the Sharing (tab), Additional Drivers method.

Simon
All Secure Networks

Visit www.allsecuredomain.com for low cost
web hosting and domain registration