Terminal Server and samba config 2.0.7

Grotnes Per Kjetil PBE-SIT PerKjetil.Grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no
Thu Sep 21 13:18:00 GMT 2000

Greetings.

Problem:
- Getting samba 2.0.7 to work on a Windows Terminal Server (WTS) with
Metaframe.
- Works when few are connected to the WTS, but errors occurs when the amount of
users  increase.
- Getting problems saving files to samba-disk.  Errors as "Irreversable diskerror
saving to disk X:".

System:

Solaris 2.6 on Sun UltraSparc 4000, 1 G Ram, 4 CPU 250Mhz
Samba 2.0.7  (binary installation)

5 Windows Terminal Servers (NT 4.0) in cluster running Metaframe 1.8 (citrix) with
load balancing in a Domain.  400 users.

We had to upgrade our samba 1.9<something> to the newest version of samba
becuase of poor diskperformance.  The problem as far as I can see is that samba
in the earlier version made one unix-process pr. user while the new 2.0.7 makes
one process pr _client_.

As we have only 5 clients (the Windows Terminal Servers) and 70 users on each
server the "one process pr. client" is overloaded.

With a NT workstation that might work nicely, but with a Terminal server where each
user opens 10 samba disks  you suddenly have 70*10=700 connections trough one
samba-client process (smbd -D type process).

Can anyone see any obvious fixes or limitations in the default settings for samba?
I cant find any options in smb.conf that seems to fix the problem.

Might it be serverlimitations?  Some Max limits that are reached?

This is a critical problem for our department and I really really needs some help
here.  Please?

Regards
Per Kjetil Grotnes
---
IT-Seksjonen, Plan- og bygningsetaten, Oslo Kommune
Tlf: 22 66 26 61, Fax: 22 66 26 65