NT/Samba-NIS

Geoff Silver <gsilver at winstar.com> gsilver at winstar.com
Tue Sep 19 13:20:51 GMT 2000

> You should be able to join the linux boxes to the NT-controlled domain,
> which will keep all authentication on the PDC. Account information will
> be handled by NIS.

Yes, we do that for our Samba file servers.  The problem is that we must
create user accounts on every machine.  NIS will centralize that, but
I need a method to duplicate and sync the NT accounts and groups to
NIS.  If an NT admin deletes a user, NIS should automatically update.  If
they create a new NT user account or add a user to a group, that info
should also be updated on the NIS master.  If Samba could be a stable BDC,
I might not have to write Perl scripts to run on NT, but I'll still need
them on the NIS master/BDC (if it's even possible).

Incidentally, ActiveState's NT Perl binaries SUCK!  For instance,

$var1='test';
if ($var1 != "") { print "Var 1 is not null"; }
else { print "Var 1 is null"; }

is sometimes null and sometimes not null.  It's absolutely ridiculous -
which is why I'd much prefer to do Perl scripting/synchronization strictly
under Linux with Samba as a BDC than on the NT PDC.

> Make trust accounts for the samba boxes on the PDC, and try "smbpasswd
> -j <domain>" (no guarantees on this one, I have no NT PDC!)

Actually, we use 'smbpasswd -j <domain> -r <PDC>' (the -r might only be
needed on 2.0.5 and earlier), but yes, that does work.  But, thanks for
the help.

gsilver at winstar.com
(703) 889-1053