Redhat 7.0 and Samba 2.2

Jon Doyle marsaro at suse.com
Tue Nov 28 20:26:46 GMT 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, David Bannon wrote:

> At 11:14 AM 27/11/2000 -0500, Phillip C Roberts wrote:
> >I am preparing to make my first attempt at a Samba PDC.   Is Redhat 7.0 a
> >workable base or is 6.2 a better option?  Any other hints or suggestions at
> >my first attempt at a PDC would be greatly appreciated.

This is quite true and the market response has indicated that all of the
distributions really must pay particular attention to quality and
engineering to push Linux in the Enterprise market for the US. There is
really no time for gimics and marketing ploys, this is why SuSE has put
linux in the Enterprise in Europe and here in the US. Have a look at this
months Linux Magazine and read carfully what Linus has said.

> I believe that RedHat jumped the gun a bit with gcc on 7.0 and included a
> 'alpha release' that does a few things differently. See the gcc site for
> details. I would stick to 6.2 and stick all the (appropriate) patches on
> including the kernel one. The standard 6.2 kernel has some security bug and
> further does not allow the current ssh to work.
>
> As a general rule, I find it better to wait for x.1 or x.2 with redhat...
>
> david
> David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
> School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
> La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
> Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au
> ..... Humpty Dumpty was pushed !

Regards,

Jon

______________________
Jon R. Doyle
SuSE Linux Inc.
Director of Professional Services
580 Second Street, Suite 210
Oakland, Ca. 94607
+ 510 - 628 - 3380 ext. 5068
www.suse.com

That which does not appear to exist is to be
regarded as if it did not exist.
California Civil Code, "Maxims of Jurisprudence"