registering with WINS server (was: finding samba PDC on different subnet)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Nov 27 23:26:44 GMT 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Robert M. Martel wrote:

> 	What must I do to FORCE my Smaba server(s) to register with
> a WINS server.  I am unable to use my Samba servers as WINS servers, I need
> to use the university provided WINS server.  So far my Samba machines
> have been unwilling or unable to register with the WINS server.

> 	I have the "win server = IP addr of WINS server" in my smb.conf
> but every time I use nbtstat -a sambaserver on a windows client machine
> I get back "Host not found".  The books don't say all that much
> about WINS, other than it should magically work.

Please check the spelling of your smb.conf directive.  If you do indeed have
'win server = <ip>' in your config file, it certainly will not work, because
the name of the directive is 'wins server'.  Running 'testparm' would quickly
show this error if this is the case.

Beyond that, I can only say that I have never had trouble getting Samba
working with a WINS server, whether Unix or NT...

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer