OK here she goes

Hazen Valliant-Saunders hazen at potentia.ca
Mon Nov 27 16:19:12 GMT 2000

Well now that i've tested and RT2FM.
Ok Heres a brief story.
1. Decided to try to use Samba as a PDC for My current place of employment.
(Figured i'd save my work the 5,000 windoze PDC costs for a network of our
size.)

So i started with 2.0.7, however we have Win2k Professionel (Egh Gaad it
sucks!)  and figured i'd need either HEAD, TNG, or 2.2.0prealpha, Dloaded
and compiled each one respectively (RH 6.2 2.2.14 i586) 2.2.0prealpha works
the best (Past the 48 over the week end test of remaining up!!)

Now on this network we have one linux box, 8NT4SP5Dell Workstations, and 3
Laptops (one Toshiba Win98 and two Dell W2kPro Lattitudes), not to mention
the Hewlett Packard PIII W98 Front desk system.   So this is a homogenous
networking environment that does not always function beacuse of problems
with Windowze (more specificly NT4 and W2KPro, or Lan MGR4 and LanMGR5 or
active directory.)

	So i have two machienes on the domain they have been on the domain for
48hours straigt and i have a couple scripts transferring files to test
reliablility.  and It works beautifully (TNG crashed with a Daemon Spawning
Problem!) and HEAD is simply "too Bleeding edge" for my tastes.  So
2.2.0prealpha work on the first try (AHHH i feel good about that one!) and
even accepts logons (both remote and local domains ie WORKGROUP or
LocalMachine.

	Now What i need to do is:
1.  Figure out how to Migrate all of the locally stored profiles to the PDC!
(Yes i know i have to copy all of the profile files to the home directory of
the user (Set up in SMB.Conf see below)
2.  Figure out how the heck to modify the profiles so that OUTLOOK *.PST
files will remain local on the users home machiene.  The HD on the Linux box
is a 1.6GB Western-Digital (yes i know very old but it works beautifully)
Now Most of the pst files are huge here (ie: 200 to 500MB in size)  I kid
you not!  I need to figure out how to modify profile admin settings so that
i do not run out of space on that drive!

3.  Need to figure out how to copy the Profiles (More Specificly the
ntuser.dat and ntuser.da0 to the new dirve.  I know i shall half to get
those files by booting into safe mode dos only and coping then)  however I
am not sure how to get the proper home directory or am I to extract the
local profile directoy to the the remote profile dir (chmod and chown
permessions anyone!)

In summation I need a  PDC migration how-to or guide, i've seen many
questions but very few relevant awnsers. and i need to know how to do this
withing the next week.

[global]
# The Preformance options for improving throughput
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

[global]
        #NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
        netbios name = XPDC
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        Domain Admin Group = @users

        security = user
        status = yes
        wins support = yes

        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain logons =yes
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        domain admin users = root dbannon andrew
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        guest account = ftp
        share modes=no
        os level=65
        oplocks = no
        veto oplock files = yes
        level2 oplocks= No

[homes]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        oplocks = false
        locking = no

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        writeable = no
        guest ok = no

#Please Keep in mind that the home directories are where the profiles are
stored# so make sure no one but root has acess to home

Thank you for your time.
Hazen Valliant-Saunders
Potentia Telecom Power
(613) 592-0027 x107
(613) 592-1686 (facimile)
"Peace can only come as a natural consequence of universal
enlightenment...''
--Nikola Tesla, "My Inventions: the autobiography of Nikola Tesla", Hart
Bros., 1982--