Honouring eXecute permissions on NT?

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Nov 2 17:43:00 GMT 2000

swright at sls.bc.ca wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2000, at 15:55, Mayers, Philip J wrote:
>
> > You're going about it the wrong way - "execute" permissions don't make sense
> > in NT. If you don't want them to execute the file, deny them read
> > permission, not execute. Ideally, put them in a seperate directory and deny
> > them read permission on the directory (and execute, which equates to
> > traverse).
>
> We don't have this option. The network shares are for personal file storage.
> The idea is to prevent students from executing programs they download and
> store on the network. I'm aware that removing R permissions will work where
> required, but it won't work in this situation. It works fine with NT, and I'm
> hoping to get the same function with Samba if possible.

I believe what you are looking for is the extended NT ACL support,
which is only available on certain OSes that support ACLs.
If you are running Samba on Linux, your options may be limited,
as the current stable Linux kernels do not support ACLs.  There
are, however, some patches that may work for you.  Of course, other
OSes may have varying levels of ACL support.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com