adding a w2k machine account to samba 2.2.0

Manea Mirko mami at arena.sci.univr.it
Thu Nov 2 15:49:50 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am trying to join a w2k machine to a samba 2.2.0 domain (from cvs on
oct 31).  Using the 'add user script' option an account in /etc/passwd is created
correctly, but not in smbpasswd. I use the unix root account as
an Admin Account. Is this a known problem ?

Thanks in advance,
	 Mirko

Here is the log:

-- log.smbd --
get_md4pw: Workstation SATURNO$: no account in domain
prs_grow: Buffer overflow - unable to expand buffer by 2 bytes.
chat_with_program: newpass contains control characters (disallowed).

-- smbpasswd --
saturno$:504:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NDW        ]:LCT-3A01881C:

-- smb.conf --
[global]
security = domain
status = yes
workgroup = VLSI05_DOM
wins server = xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons =yes
logon script = scripts\%U.bat
domain admin users = root mami
guest account = ftp
share modes=no
os level=65

; sync samba with unix password
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*
all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

; to add a nt/w2k machine to the domain
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -g machines -c NTMachine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -n '%m$'

; delete user
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u

[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no
create mask = 0700