Samba and subnets

C.Lee Taylor lee.taylor at aeroton.scania.co.za
Thu Nov 2 13:28:55 GMT 2000

I am not sure, but from what I have read does ...

remote browse sync

    not do this?

    Maybe somebody can explain this better.

    Taken from the SWAT help ...

remote announce (G)
This option allows you to setup nmbd to periodically announce itself to
arbitrary IP addresses with an arbitrary workgroup name.

This is useful if you want your Samba server to appear in a remote workgroup
for which the normal browse propagation rules don't work. The remote
workgroup can be anywhere that you can send IP packets to.

For example:

remote announce = 192.168.2.255/SERVERS 192.168.4.255/STAFF

the above line would cause nmbd to announce itself to the two given IP
addresses using the given workgroup names. If you leave out the workgroup
name then the one given in the "workgroup" parameter is used instead.

The IP addresses you choose would normally be the broadcast addresses of the
remote networks, but can also be the IP addresses of known browse masters if
your network config is that stable.

See the documentation file BROWSING.txt in the docs/ directory.

Default: remote announce = <empty string>

Example: remote announce = 192.168.2.255/SERVERS 192.168.4.255/STAFF

remote browse sync (G)
This option allows you to setup nmbd to periodically request synchronization
of browse lists with the master browser of a samba server that is on a
remote segment. This option will allow you to gain browse lists for multiple
workgroups across routed networks. This is done in a manner that does not
work with any non-samba servers.

This is useful if you want your Samba server and all local clients to appear
in a remote workgroup for which the normal browse propagation rules don't
work. The remote workgroup can be anywhere that you can send IP packets to.

For example:

remote browse sync = 192.168.2.255 192.168.4.255

the above line would cause nmbd to request the master browser on the
specified subnets or addresses to synchronize their browse lists with the
local server.

The IP addresses you choose would normally be the broadcast addresses of the
remote networks, but can also be the IP addresses of known browse masters if
your network config is that stable. If a machine IP address is given Samba
makes NO attempt to validate that the remote machine is available, is
listening, nor that it is in fact the browse master on it's segment.

Default: remote browse sync = <empty string>

Example: remote browse sync = 192.168.2.255 192.168.4.255

> Network neighborhood uses broadcasts, the packets won't cross the router.
I don't know much