password synchronization - again!

Akop Pogosian akopps at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 29 23:24:09 GMT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Jenny Fox wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am sure someone else has been in this situation - I'm running a very
> heterogeneous network of unix, macintosh, and NT machines.  I am using a
> linux/samba server for home directories, which is also running
> netatalk.  The problem is with password synchronization - I currently
> have security=domain set which enables the NT users access without a
> problem.  Unfortunately, if someone changes their password from a unix
> box or a macintosh, their NT password is not changed.  I have a wide
> spectrum of users - from those who have never encountered a computer
> before to computer professionals, and I would like to make this as easy
> as possible for everyone.  What I would really like is that if someone
> changed their password from any machine, it has been changed for all
> platforms, which means that somehow I have to synchronize the unix
> password file and the NT SAM database.

Fortunately, we don't have any Macs yet :)

When we start adding windows clients to our network, I hope we
could synchronize password changing from unix machines by replacing
passwd program with expect script that would grab the old and new
passwords from the user and then feed them to the real passwd
program and smbpasswd.

Akop