RFC on new network

Tim Fletcher tim at night-shade.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 20:08:45 GMT 2000

I am setting up a network for the school I work for and I wondered if I
could pick this lists collective brain for some ideas / comments:

Some background:

Aims:
2000 users with home dirs
NT logins
linux clients running citrix on top to give NT desktop
Some (<100) win9x machines, can be NT but I find win9x easier to clone

Thoughts:

My ideal solution is to have a bdc/filestore machine and a pdc both
running samba, I can swollow my pride and use NT on the pdc if people
think it is a better plan.

The reason I would like to see a mostly samba/linux solution is that I
need usernames visable to linux for mail / web serving via NIS.

The advantages I see to NT pdc is that the $%^%$^%$^ exchange box we got
"requimended" for staff use by our consultents uses the domain list for
management (I think not tried it)

Current state:
I have various flavours of samba working:
2.0.x is fine for fileserving / printing
Head has compiled / started, not played with thou
TNG has compiled and runs, I can get domain logins to work and create
machine accounts fine.

I have a few problems with passwords and the bdc thou, which I have as I
was writting this have had an idea on.

Does anyone use RedHat 6.2 with tng, and have they tinked with the nobody
account?

(hazel is the pdc / walnut the bdc)

I am getting messages like this when I try to login the domain:
hazel lsarpcd[8119]: WARNING: _lsa_open_secret: couldn't open secret_db. Possible attack?
hazel lsarpcd[8119]: uid=0, gid=0, euid=99, egid=99
hazel lsarpcd[8119]: _lsa_open_secret failed with 0xc0000022

and when I try to mount a share from the bdc:
walnut smbd[7273]: domain_client_validate: credentials failed (\\PDC)
walnut smbd[7273]: SMB LM/NT Password did not match!

but the pdc let my login?

--
      Tim Fletcher                  .~.
                                    /V\       L   I   N   U   X