security = domain

Greg Dickie greg at discreet.com
Thu Aug 13 18:15:23 GMT 1998

The functionality you are refering to is with security=server. The NTDOM stuff
provides security=domain and lets your NT users actually athenticate to a
Primary Domain Controller implemented in samba. The problem you are having is
that your samba server may be asking the NT server to authenticate the
username/password pair just fine but then it has no idea what to do with them.
Remember samba just tries to map NT privileges to some local user. If I log on
to an NT domain with username greg but there is no user greg on the samba
machine then unless I map it to something else using username map, I will  be
nobody because UNIX does not know me.

Does that make any sense?
Greg

On 13-Aug-98 Ryan Koski wrote:
> Well, I commented out said line and rebuilt everything.  I can now
> browse the shares on my SAMBA machine (the logs show it using the
> "nobody" account).  Interestingly, all the shares appear in explorer
> with names in ALL CAPS.  I can access those shares if there is a user
> account on the Linux box with the same name as my NT domain username.
> However, if I delete that user account from the Linux box, I cannot
> access those shares anymore.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding how SAMBA/NTDOM is supposed to work.  Is it
> supposed to be possible to get a SAMBA server to get ALL of it's auth
> info from an NT PDC without having to administer user accounts on the
> SAMBA server whatsoever?  Or do I need to have user accounts on the
> SAMBA server for each of my NT domain users?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ryan Koski
> Management Information Systems

Greg Dickie