Error 0 on smbpasswd command (1.9.19-prealpha)

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Apr 23 19:42:54 GMT 1998

Andrew Perrin - Demography wrote:

> Now, however, I am unable to use smbpasswd (the program) if there is
> already an smbpasswd (the file) in place; witness:
>
> #@boserup:/usr/LOCAL/samba/private>ls -la
> total 6
> drwxrwxrwx   2 root     other        512 Apr 21 16:04 .
> drwxr-xr--   7 root     other        512 Apr 21 15:01 ..
> -rw-------   1 root     other          0 Apr 21 16:04 smbpasswd

First thing is to change the permission on /usr/LOCAL/samba/private
from
		drwxrwxrwx
		dr-x------
for security reasons.

> #@boserup:/usr/LOCAL/samba/bin>./smbpasswd -a aperrin
[snip]
> startsmbpwent: opening file /usr/LOCAL/samba/private/smbpasswd
> /smbpasswd: Failed to open password file
> /usr/LOCAL/samba/private/smbpasswd.
> /smbpasswd: Error 0
[snip]
> BUT if I delete smbpasswd:
> #@boserup:/usr/LOCAL/samba/bin>./smbpasswd -a aperrin
[snip]
> /smbpasswd: Added user aperrin.
>
> This pattern holds for adding user or machine accounts; it also holds
> for changing the password in an existing entry.

I dunno about this part.  The only that comes to mind is if the file is
locked.  Can you write an C program and try to open smbpasswd for
writing and see what a stat() call gives?

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )