Adding machine with smbpasswd

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at regent.push.net
Thu Apr 23 13:12:34 GMT 1998

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Gerald Carter wrote:

> David Bannon wrote:
> >
> > All this talk about adding a machine over the wire...
> >
> > All I want to do is add it locally ! There was mention a while ago
> > about the option to add a machine being added to smbpasswd programme.
> > The option is recognised but does not appear to be acted upon
> > correctly.
> >
> > Looking at the source, when the -m option is used, the next parameter
> > (the machine name) is stored in a variable, user_name, has its $
> > appended but is then used in a getpwnam(user_name) which of course
> > fails, returns NULL, we exit saying 'cannot find in passwd list'.
> >
> > Have I got the syntax wrong ?? The man page doesn't know about it yet.
> > I used :
> >
> > smbpasswd -m machine    and
> > smbpasswd -a -m machine
> >

> This is correct.  I asked Jeremy about this recently.  Two options.  The
> first and accepted solution is to create a standard Unix account ( with
> a shell of /bin/false or something like that ) for the machine name andm
> then run the smbpasswd -a -m MACHINE.
>
> The second solution which will work for the time being but not
> guarenteed to work in the future is to creta a user account with the
> machine_name password and then edit the smbpasswd file to set the
> necessary fields ( ie. the [W] field ).
>
> It is forseeable in the future that it will be necessary to have a unix
> account for each machine.

what i would ideally like to see happen is to be able to either specify
the unix UID on the smbpasswd command line, or for smbpasswd to read the
"map username=" parameter for mapping the NT name to a UNIX name.

the username file should be able to contain this:

nobodymc = machine1$ machine2$ wks3$ guest pcguest
root     = administrator.

luke