Group Memberships & ACL permissions?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Apr 16 16:47:32 GMT 1998

CURRIE KEVIN wrote:
>         Could you please cc that to me as well...  I'm about a week away
> from pushing a couple labs of computers to using samba as a PDC and I'd
> like everything to go as smooth as possible.

Just wanted to remind everyone on the Samba-ntdom list
that they are on the 'bleeding' edge, and many of the
things in the current code will be changing before
it makes it to final release (so please don't use
it for critical production servers, but you weren't
going to do that anyway, were you :-).

One comment on the current 'domain admins' etc.
parameters that Luke has added - as he said, these
will be 'temporary' parameters.

Currently the prefered solution (when it gets coded
up) will be to add a 'groupname map' parameter that
points to a file containing the mappings between
UNIX groups and NT groups (so wheel will map to
the administrators group etc.).

Likewise the format of the smbpasswd file is being
changed (already has in the head cvs branch) to
contain a time the password was last changed field.

I'm going on about these changes as I don't want the
domain code to get locked into early decisions that
turn out not to be so good in practice. I want us to
have the freedom to change these things as we work
on the code without having to worry about 1000's
of sites already using the earlier cvs code.

Remember at the moment, using the domain code is
'caveat emptor' :-).

Thanks for listening to my paranoid ramblings :-).

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.