Profiles & Policies

Dana Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Apr 13 15:53:22 GMT 1998

I've developed a rather odd problem.  I have Samba with NTDOM installed
and configured as a PDC, and three test machines.  One is an NT Server,
configured as standalone, and logging into my UINDY PDC.  The other two
are NTWorkstation, once again setup to log into the UINDY PDC.  All
systems have Service Pack 3 installed.  I've created a system policy
called NTCONFIG.POL and a batch file called LOGIN.BAT, both stored in
the NETLOGON share.

Here's the weird part:  If I log into the domain using my NTServer
machine, my home directory is not mounted, and I don't get the desktop
settings, etc. that I created with the NTWKS machines.  But, the system
profile works, and locks the desktop up all nice and tidy.  The batch
file also runs here.

Now, if I go to the Workstation machines, I can't get the batch file or
the policy to apply, but I do get my roaming profile, and my home
directory gets mounted properly.

Any ideas?  Relevant parts of my smb.conf are as follows:

--------
logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
logon drive = h:
logon script = LOGON.BAT

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = yes

[Profiles]
    path = \\%N\%U\profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
------------

Another, possibly unrelated question is: I would like to create a single
hard drive image for all my machines on campus, however, there are
certain programs that we do not have sufficient licensing to allow on
every machine.  Is there any way (yet) with Samba as a PDC to
allow/disallow certain programs to run on certain machine, even though
the program is on the drive?  With a real PDC, I could probably do this
with grouped policies, etc.  This would also provide a handy backup.  If
one lab's network fails, we can move classes to another lab, and all the
software is there... just change a policy or something.

My goal is really to get the policies and profiles running on the
Workstations.  I only installed the server because I needed some of the
utilities, but it happened to give some interesting information.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated!