domain/share authen

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Apr 4 15:53:03 GMT 1998

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> What's the difference between a) connecting to an NT domain controller
> and authenticating for a connection to IPC$ and b) doing an actual NT
> login, other than extra info you might get back about the user account.

jens,

an NT login _is_ authentication using a connection to IPC$ (note the
change of wording).

the question i think you are asking is, what is the difference between
connecting anonymously to IPC$ and then doing a SAMLOGON, and doing a
SMBsesssetupX with the username/password/domain?

the answer (and i can only speculate here from what documentation is
available publicly) is, nothing.  the username/password/domain from the
SAMLOGON is passed to the SAM "local security authority", and the
username/password/domain from the SMBsessetupX is _also_ passed to the SAM
LSA.

or to the Netware LSA, if you have that installed.

> I mean, they both would use the same user/password database, right? Or

yes.

> would it depend on what whether security for the share was share/user?

yes.  but i've never bothered with share level security (i don't like it)
so i wouldn't be able to even describe the difference to you, technically!

luke