Problems finding Domain.

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Apr 3 00:36:47 GMT 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Kevin Currie wrote:

> I am having difficulty locating a samba box across campus that is trying to
> act as a PDC.  I can map a drive configured in the conf file and that works
> fine.  If I try and for a Find Computer from the NT box I can only locate the
> Samba server if the drive is mapped.  The samba server is acting as a WINS
> server, the NT box is using it as its WINS server.  Also, when I do a Find
> Computer the location and comment field have some ASCII garbage after them.
> I am using the lastest CVS code from the main branch.  The IP address of the
> server is xxx.xxx.112.20 and the IP of the client is xxx.xxx.113.63.  The OS
> of the samba machine is Solaris 2.5.1.

Does the Samba PDC work with machines on the same subnet?  I am using the
exact same configuration ( Solaris 2.5.1 running on an Ultra and latest
main cvs branch code ) with no problems.  Can you look at the
$LOCKDIR/wins.dat files on the Samba pdc and make sure the NT client is
actually registering with the wins server?

Are you using static DNS and WINS server entries on the NT box?  There as
a KB article I remember about DNS queries repsonding negatively before the
real response from the PDC is received.  My DNS and WINS server entries
are assigned via DHCP.

Could you send a complete log.smb and log.nmb ( debug level about 20 )?
Just send them directly to me if you want.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )